Tuesday, September 6, 2011

One Armadillo, Two Armadillo

Over Labor Day weekend, it was so great to head out of town to Neil's family ranch to enjoy some time with the family. This was Sammy's first trip to the ranch. We are determined he is going to grow up a country boy just like his mommy and daddy! Neil and I, over the years, have spent so much time out at the ranch. It is his grandparent's ranch featuring a cozy camp house, four lakes, and acres upon acres of land to roam.

Sunday night, after we finished an intense game of Taboo and Password (Taboo is a regular game we like to play!) the family started getting ready for bed. Neil and I went out on the porch to swing on the big, wooden swing to enjoy some of the night air. It was a very windy night! It was nice to soak up some time hanging out with the hubby while Sam was sleeping in our room. I value our quiet time together ever since we had our little guy. We were aware that there had been some armadillos tearing holes up in his grandpa's land and around the house. So, throughout the night they had been checking for armadillos and killing ones that they saw.

As we sat swinging on the swing, I heard some rustling along the ground behind us. I looked, and low and behold, there was an armadillo! I wanted to be the one to get this critter since I was unable to shoot a gun for a whole year because I was pregnant every time I had the opportunity to. We grabbed the 22 and realized there were two of them. Show time! We grabbed a flashlight as we ventured closer to the fence near the armadillos. Neil shown the light while I held the gun. At this time, Neil's step-dad, brother and sister all headed out to see what the shenanigans were all about.

I set the gun on the fence, lined up my shot, and...pow! I shot the armadillo. I hadn't lost my touch! Little did I know the series of events that were about to transpire. After I shot the armadillo, he came running right at us! I started squealing like...well...a girl! We all jumped out of the way (I, with the gun) and scared my husband thinking I was going to shoot someone as I jumped around with the 22. The gun was not loaded and my finger was not on the trigger. But, I see his point. The armadillo zoomed past his brother, Daryl, nearly running straight across his toes. The armadillo was injured and I ended up shooting him again as he lay near the tree. One armadillo down.

I regrouped as we looked for the second one. There he was by the fence and he was huge! We were only yards away. I set the gun again on the fence, lined up the shot, and...pow! I shot the armadillo. Here we go, again. The armadillo, who was injured and definitely not happy, went sprinting toward the area we were and ran faster than I've ever seen an armadillo run! He ran, ran, and ran until finally...SMACK! He ran right into the shed. HA! It was absolutely hysterical. He was so huge we ended up shooting him another time or two until he finally stopped walking around. What is it with these crazed armadillos?

This night and series of events was one of my favorites there at the ranch. We always have a great time and spend hours playing Taboo. Though, with me, it's never enough! It's one of my absolute favorite games and am always up for more. And, as always at the ranch, any diet is completely out the window. That is one of the joys of being there. Hamburgers, fried chicken, chips, and cookies is the norm. Love it! We always enjoy the ranch and love any chance we get to go. The mismatched furniture, cozy beds, hanging out with family, great food, and spending the day so far out in the country is all part of the wonderful ranch experience. And, we can add armadillo wrangling to the list. Though, I am known to conquer those little creatures. Can't wait to go back!

 Back in 2008 at the ranch- My first two armadillo kills!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...