Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Dleep Seprived

I'm sure every mother, especially new mothers, knows exactly what the words sleep deprived means. That was my case last night. It's funny how in the beginning, in the first few months, your little one gets up so much throughout the night and you live in this sleep deprived fog. You begin getting used to such few hours of sleep and although hard, you become adjusted and just cope. Then, once they start sleeping through the night, you get so spoiled that getting up again during the night seems so hard.

Sam started sleeping through the night at about 3 months. I remember the first time he began sleeping through the night. I woke up at 4 and was in a small panic. Why hasn't he woken up? Is he ok? Is he breathing? I rush to his room to see him sleeping soundly. Wow...he's finally sleeping through the night! It felt so nice to start sleeping through the night as well, though I am one of those people that wakes up at least once or twice a night. Well, just because he sleeps through night now doesn't mean it is every night. We still use a SwaddleMe to swaddle him at night. He can't sleep without it. I know that's going to be a hard habit to break. Sometimes he'll wake up if he breaks out of the swaddle or wakes and can't soothe himself back to sleep.

This morning was the first time in a long time where I feel sleep deprived. Neil came home late last night after him and coworkers from the company he works for went to an Astros game. I stayed up to visit with him and we finished watching the football game together. I ended up going to bed until late and not able to fall asleep until midnight. Sam was already up at 1:30 a.m. and again at 4 and again when Neil left for work. I was up about five times when he was up at 4 because he couldn't seem to go back to sleep. Neil always wakes me up when he leaves for work to kiss me and tell me goodbye for the day before he's on his way to work. This morning when he did that, I was so out of it from not getting any sleep that I felt delirious.

Now that I have my cup of coffee, I feel a little better but still feel like I'm in a fog. I've noticed Sammy is starting to wake up during the night now. I hope this isn't a new trend! I was really loving him sleeping through the night. But, no matter how tired I am, when I walk over his crib and see him smiling or looking at me with those big, round eyes, being sleep deprived doesn't really matter anymore. (Though, a good night's sleep would be nice!) Maybe I will catch a cat nap today while he sleeps. But, being me, I always mask my sleep depravity with coffee instead of curing with a nap. I've always been that way. Guess some things never change!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...