Friday, September 23, 2011

Inside-Out California Rolls

I'm in love with Inside-Out California Rolls and it's always a treat whenever I get to snag these for lunch or dinner. And, now that Kroger has a sushi department, I always try to talk Neil into letting me sneak some California Rolls in the shopping cart. Sometimes I win.

When Neil's brother, Daryl, came over last weekend for football I was saying how much I wanted them. He said, "Why don't you make some?" Well, I never really thought about it. Why am I not making them? They cost anywhere from $5 to $8 dollars a pop in the store and around $10 or more in restaurants. And what are you paying for, rice and cucumber? I decided to set out on a mission to make my homemade California Rolls.

I found an amazing Sushi Rice Recipe on the internet from Alton Brown and it turned out amazing. The consistency and taste was nearly spot on! And, I searched on YouTube on how to make the roll. You can learn anything on the internet! I went to Whole Foods to get the bamboo mat that you need for rolling the sushi roll. Turns out Kroger did end up having the bamboo mat, so I wasted a whole trip to Whole Foods. I totally suggest staying away from Whole Foods when you can get just what you need at Kroger. I've never stepped into a Whole Foods and don't know if I ever will again. It's way too overpriced. The only reason I went there was because when I called Kroger, they said they had neither the bamboo mat and nori sheets I needed. So, I knew places like Whole Foods would have them. I would end up buying the nori sheets there and taking them back because they were outrageously expensive in comparison to Kroger.

I went to Kroger to get the other things needed, like nori sheets (toasted seaweed sheets), cucumber, avocado, and imitation crab meat. The nori sheets alone were 3 to 4 times cheaper there! I went home, and started the fun. Neil came home before I started rolling the rolls and him and Sammy watched me make them. We were both amazed that you could actually make something like this from home. We never thought of it before! It came out great and delicious and I am so happy that I'll be able to make these instead of spending money by buying them. And, to make myself feel so much better, I finally am able to make something and ENJOY because it is low in calories. Success!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...