Monday, October 10, 2011

Kiss the Slow-Cook(er)!

I'm in love with the slow-cooker! No, I'm not talking about the "slow" cook. I'm talking about my Crock Pot! I received it as a gift a year ago and have never opened it. I wasn't an experienced cook going into my marriage so I had a lot of learning to do. And, I always looked at the Crock Pot as just another kitchen thing I didn't know how to use. Well, throughout the past year or so we've been married, I've dabbled in a lot of different cooking. About a week ago, I busted out the Crock Pot and have been in love every since. It was love at first slow-cook!

I made some baby back BBQ ribs that the hubby and I absolutely fell in love with. It compared to any restaurant style ribs, if not better! I was such a proud cook. Who would have thought something so delicious such as BBQ baby back ribs could come out of a slow-cooker? And I thought they were only made for cooking stews. Boy was I wrong!

We've been wanting to have Neil's grandparents over since they haven't seen the house and Sammy much for that matter. So, we wanted to make them a meal. We knew just the thing to make! Of course, our local grocery store was out of baby back ribs when we made the rib run. But, regular back ribs would work just fine. They were coming at 11:30 for lunch. So, when we calculated the 7 hours the ribs needed to cook, we realized we needed to wake up at 4 to prepare and put them on! Oh well, we were excited for our lunch date so we didn't mind. We cleaned the house, got out our best dishes and glassware, and I made a peach cobbler to top off our meal. We made BBQ ribs, baked potatoes, and the best sweet corn I've had in a while. The frozen sweet corn in the bags are better than nearly any fresh sweet corn I've had.

Lunch went off without a hitch (except for my peach cobbler which I feel had too much dough). But, it was a new recipe so, it was worth a shot. We had a great lunch and visited for many hours. We had such a great time! I'm so happy that they enjoyed lunch. Let me tell you, the ribs literally fell off the bone! I was so excited that everything turned out like it did. (I felt like such the proud cook!) I'm still learning, but it's so nice to be able to make a delicious meal for wonderful company.

Many people have asked me for the rib "recipe", so I will give it to you all. You will laugh, as this is not a "recipe"! These are the most delicious ribs I've ever had. And, the absolute easiest. Give it a try...you will not be sorry. Here's what you do: 

Per rack of ribs, you will need one bottle of any kind of BBQ sauce and an onion. (That's it!) Pour the BBQ sauce and a thinly sliced onion into the Crock Pot. Cut the ribs into 2 to 3 rib sections and place them in the Crock-Pot, stir to coat, and slow-cook for 6 to 8 hours. Voila! You'll have the most amazing ribs. I stirred a few hours into it, but do not know if it's necessary. If you try this "recipe", let me know how you liked them. I'd love to know how they turned out for you. The first time I made them I used one rack of baby back ribs, one bottle of BBQ sauce, and one onion. The second time I made them I used two racks of back ribs, two bottles of BBQ sauce, and two onions. You get the idea.

I can't wait to make these ribs again. And, as we speak at 9:10 in the morning, I already have a roast cooking in the slow-cooker. I'm addicted. But, the hubby loves having these amazing meals to come home to. And, I have to say, I'm loving it as well! For the first time ever, I actually feel like a cook. When we don't need water to choke down my dry meals, you know I'm doing something right!


 Yummy, tender baby back ribs.
 Notice, the bone is not in the rib!

All that's left!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...