Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy Belated Halloween

Halloween has developed into a big deal in our family over the past couple of years. Because my dad's birthday is November 1st, the day after Halloween, we usually have a big celebration on Halloween to celebrate the two. Last year was so much fun! My mom and sister did tons of Halloween decorating and made the cutest Halloween foods, from spider webbed 7 layer dip to severed shortbread witch fingers. It was fabulous! On top of that all, it was our first Halloween as a married couple (and I was sporting my tiny baby bump from our honeymoon baby!). I love dressing up for Halloween so I found the most awesome Halloween costume at this huge Halloween warehouse downtown...Lucille Ball! My costume was so spot on and I had so much fun with it.

This year was a different story. Halloween came and went and we have not a single Halloween decoration up in our house. Our pumpkin on the front porch is not even carved. Our house has been decorated for Fall and looks to have been waiting for Thanksgiving since the middle of September. Ok, I admit, I'm obsessing over the anticipation of my first bite of Mom's dressing! It's the absolute best. But, "skipping" Halloween just kind of happened. Everyone in our family is so busy right now. And, since Halloween fell on a Monday, our usual weekend Halloween party was out of the picture. So, we just kind of skipped it this year. I thought I'd still be able to wear my Lucy costume so I was pumped! Mr. Spouse's mom said they were going to a Halloween dance and we were invited to come and dress up. I was thrilled! After days of built anticipation to bust out my costume, I got a call from his mom saying that they couldn't go. She had forgotten her husband was going hunting that weekend. Agh! That kind of blew our only plans of Halloween out of the water. But, oh well. We have little Sammy and knew he wouldn't want to be out late.

I can't wait for the day we get to dress up little Sammy to take him trick or treating! We would have this year if we would have gone somewhere, such as the Halloween dance. But, we weren't going to dress him up to take him trick or treating. The boy is just 6 months old, for crying out loud. I'm not about to tote him around town as a disguise to get candy for Mommy and Daddy. We spent our Halloween with Neil watching football while I watched The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills with my tissues, blowing my nose. No, not because I was crying from the Real Housewives. I've been sick the past few days. Oh, and no trick or treaters came by even if we planned to give out candy because our porch light is out because it needs a new bulb! But, this isn't to say I didn't get a good scare. I was watching Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later in the living room while Neil was making him a plate for dinner in the kitchen. As I had Sammy on my lap during the movie, I heard a "BANG BANG BANG!!" on the door and nearly jumped off the couch. Apparently there were some trick or treaters already running around at pure daylight and couldn't see our porch light was intentionally unintentionally off. Ok, I admit it. We knew the light was out days ago. But, what a perfect excuse not to waste money on candy that I'd end up eating anyway!


Halloween 2010 - Lucille Ball

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...